Drug rehab programs can be very costly. A private health insurance plan through Kaiser Permanente can help cover the expenses of an inpatient or outpatient program.
Addiction treatment services covered by Kaiser may include medication-assisted treatment (MAT), detoxification, behavioral therapy, and relapse prevention services.
Using health insurance for a rehab program will provide the most affordable options for addiction recovery.
How To Use Kaiser Permanente Insurance For A Rehab Program
Kaiser Permanente insurance is one of the largest insurance providers in the United States, currently serving over 12 million customers.
Types of plans available through Kaiser Permanente:
- employer plans
- individual and family plans
- Medicaid and Medicare plans
- plans for small businesses
Insurance plans through Kaiser offer different levels of coverage, or tiers, for addiction treatment depending on the specifics of the plan.
The lowest tier, called the bronze plan, covers the least amount of healthcare services but also has the most affordable monthly payment.
The platinum plan offers the highest tier, with 90% of the cost of treatment services covered. The platinum tier features a high monthly payment but low deductibles and copays.
What States Does Insurance Through Kaiser Permanente Cover?
Kaiser Permanente health plans are available in a number of states throughout the nation.
States that accept Kaiser Permanente coverage include:
If a person tries to use their Kaiser Permanente insurance plan in a different state, they may be considered out-of-network and incur additional costs.
Addiction Treatment Programs Covered By Kaiser Permanente
People with substance use disorders can use their Kaiser Permanente insurance for a number of evidence-based and holistic treatment options.
Substance abuse treatment plans may include:
- inpatient treatment for opioid drug addiction
- intensive outpatient programs (IOP)
- partial hospitalization programs (PHP)
- medical detox
- mental health services
- cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT)
- dialectical behavior therapy (DBT)
- short-term or long-term residential treatment
- methadone maintenance
- dual diagnosis treatment for co-occurring disorders
- aftercare services
- relapse prevention
- outpatient treatment
- support groups for people with chemical dependency
- sober living homes
Upon entering a treatment program, Kaiser will pay a percentage of the costs. Whatever is not covered by the insurance plan will be paid through the policyholder’s copayment.
Questions To Consider Before Selecting A Drug Rehab Program Using Kaiser Permanente
If you or a loved one are battling drug or alcohol addiction, you may be wondering how to go about selecting a rehab facility that will provide the services required to fully recover.
The following factors may be worth considering before choosing a rehab center using your Kaiser Permanente insurance.
Questions to ask Kaiser Permanente before enrolling at a treatment center:
- Does the rehab program have to be in-network for Kaiser to cover the cost?
- How much will I have to pay if the treatment facility is out of network?
- Do I need to seek a referral from a healthcare provider before I can enroll in a treatment program?
- Do I need an insurance card?
- What will my out-of-pocket costs be?
- What is the difference between an HMO and PPO?
- Are there prior authorization or precertification requirements that I have to meet?
- What happens if I can’t afford my copays or deductibles?
- Will both outpatient rehab programs and inpatient rehab programs be included under my health insurance coverage?
- Can I use scholarships or government grants for addiction treatment?
- Will I be able to use a sliding fee scale as a payment option for treatment costs not covered by my insurance plan?
When you call a care team representative at Kaiser, they will go over the treatment services that are covered by your health plan.
Find Substance Use Disorder Treatment Using Kaiser Permanente Insurance Today
For more information about using your Kaiser Permanente health insurance policy for a drug and alcohol rehab program, call our helpline today.
Whether you have coverage through Cigna, Aetna, or the Kaiser insurance company, our team can assist you in finding a recovery center that works for you.
Published on November 29, 2022
Free Rehab Centers aims to provide only the most current, accurate information in regards to addiction and addiction treatment, which means we only reference the most credible sources available.
These include peer-reviewed journals, government entities and academic institutions, and leaders in addiction healthcare and advocacy. Learn more about how we safeguard our content by viewing our editorial policy.
- Healthcare.gov — Mental health and substance abuse coverage
- Kaiser Permanente — Addiction and Recovery
- National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA) — Types of Treatment Programs
- Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) — What Does the Affordable Care Act (ACA) Mean for Behavioral Health?